Saturday, April 23, 2011

Peeps...The Final Frontier

I can now die a happy man.

Image courtesy of http://thatsnerdalicious.com/
Thanks to my cousin Rick Fortin and the wonders of Facebook, I have seen something I never could have envisioned.

Behold...the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise - in marshmallow Peeps form - complete with Tribbles.

It is a sight that would make Gene Roddenberry proud.

And now I have a mission...to find a local retailer that actually sells these gems. I could always purchase them online, but where would the fun be in that?

No...if I am to have the Peeps version of Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, etc., I need to work for it.

And if it turns out that this creation was a custom job, then I will rally my confectionary friends together for a Peeps decorating session.

I recognize, however, that success in my mission will present a dilemma - Do I keep the Peeps as a collectible, letting them age to rock-hard form before displaying them in a nice oak shadowbox...or do I eat them?

It's a difficult decision, especially for someone who has been a Peeps junkie for the past 35 years.

Yes, I do love Peeps. I'm just not sure why.

Maybe it's their bright colors.

Or that they appear in stores around major holidays (although Groundhog Day, Flag Day and Arbor Day still are greatly missed marketing opportunities for the Peeps folks).

My guess, however, is that in their desire to provide absolutely no nutritional value, Peeps also offer an injection of sugar directly into one's bloodstream.

When you experience your first Peeps sugar rush at age 7, you tend to become a fan for life.

And technological advancements now allow you to take your fandom to a whole new level.

But I digress. The clock is ticking and the latest Peeps offerings will soon disappear from store shelves until...Memorial Day?

Time to boldly go to my "always friendly Wal-mart" to see if my Trekkie Peeps are in stock.

And if they're not? Not a problem.

There are bound to be more than a few inhabitants of "strange new worlds" to see that will make my trip worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment