This is the 50th.
Spend a few minutes Googling blogs and you'll find dozens with countless more posts. Some are from full-time writers, others from very prolific part-timers.
As for me, I am neither. I peck away as time allows between kid, family and work commitments.
That said, I'd like to mark this milestone - modest though it may be - with a unique perspective.
50, I've researched the following "facts."
I believe most to be factual but haven't verified each for accuracy. They were interesting enough for me at face value. I hope they are for you too.
So here goes, in no particular order:
- All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial and on the back of the $5 bill.
- A volcano can shoot ash 50 km. into the atmosphere.
- A mother hen turns her egg about 50 times in a day so the yolk doesn't stick to the shell.
- A mature oak tree takes in about 50 gallons of water per day.
- Abe Lincoln bought 50 cents worth of cocaine in 1860 (not too sure about this one, but it is interesting).
- In 1800, only 50 cities on earth had a population more than 100,000.
- 50 percent of Americans do not receive regular dental care.
- Pennsylvania has 50 natural lakes (over 20 acres wide).
- There were 50 boxes each of lemons and grapefruit on the Titanic.
- The length of the optic nerve is 50 mm.
- Women burn fat more slowly than men, by a rate of about 50 calories a day.
- The ant can lift 50 times its own weight.
- About 50 bibles are sold every minute (exact versions could not be determined).
- 50 percent of children during the Great Depression did not have adequate food, shelter or medical care.
- Tapeworms can grow 50 feet long (sorry for putting that image in your head).
- The upper shell of a turtle has 50 bones.
- Cockroaches can move 50 body lengths per second (see comment on tapeworms).
- 50 is the atomic number for tin.
- Hawaii Five-O is so called because Hawaii is the 50th state.
- The moon is 50 times smaller than the Earth.
- The 50 wealthiest members of Congress saw their collective fortunes increase by $85.1 million dollars to $1.4 billion in 2009.
- Strawberry flavoring used in fast-food products contains 50 different chemicals.
- It takes roughly 50 coffee beans to produce one cup of coffee.
- And, finally, my favorite: Some lions mate more than 50 times a day (I got tired just reading that one).