Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter Scenes in Maine

Sub-zero temps with a wind chill of 20 below.

Three feet of snow, the middle crusted with ice.

Jumpstarting cars with dead batteries, battling frostbite, scraping windshields and waiting for the defrost to kick in.

And, finally, shoveling the driveway with the threat of sudden cardiac arrest increasing each year.

This is January in Maine, the state where I've spent all but one of my 42 winters. Like other cold climate states, it is not for the faint of heart or spirit.

Yet despite its challenges, spending a winter in Maine is a fantastically beautiful experience.

And if you're attired in the appropriate number and type of layers, it can be not only bearable but often enjoyable.

For professional photographers and novices like me alike, the landscape is a continual opportunity for great images.

A quick walk this afternoon around our property and the country road opposite it yielded these wintry photos of our little rural town and a tributary of the Togus Stream that snakes through it.

These images - which capture a slice of one of Maine's four vibrant and distinct seasons - are part of the reason I've stayed within the borders of the Pine Tree State all these years.

As difficult as winter may be at times, I am thankful for the varied landscape that lies before me throughout the year.

This is the positive thought I will try to maintain on Wednesday as the next forecasted snowy blast passes through central Maine and dumps another foot atop the mountains lining my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment