Thursday, January 6, 2011

Twitter for Dummies

My mailbox during the first week of 2011 has been filled with gardening seed catalogs and course guides for local adult education classes.

Both hold promise of good things in the months ahead, but my immediate attention is drawn to the latter.

The reason? I am Twitter illiterate. Well, mostly anyway.

Either way, I'm in serious need of schoolin' and the MSAD/RSU 11 Adult Education Program may be just the ticket.

I entered the Twitter fray very tentatively about a year ago, testing the waters with a few tweets.

Seeing how my tweets had a frequency of one every few months, I realized I wasn't quite ready for a long-term Twitter commitment.

This all changed a few weeks ago when I realized I could no longer avoid my inevitable participation and started anew. My head has been spinning ever since.

I liken the experience to being immersed in a country in which I do not speak the language - and I have to communicate and find my way by using phrases no more than 140 characters.

The art of brevity is not one I practice well. I tend to be verbose rather than pithy, one who tells rich tales rather than the CliffsNotes versions of them. This trait has caused incompatability problems between me and Twitter - a star-crossed social media romance.

But now, at long last, I'm committed to change...to seeing it through and learning the language spoken by millions of others in bits and pieces.

I will be an "occasionitter" no more, but rather a bold "adventuritter" as I embark on a "friendapalooza" in this brave new world.

And if my Adult Ed social media class doesn't provide all the tools I need, I'll rely on my Twictionary to see me through.

Wish me luck. Peace out, tweeple.

No comments:

Post a Comment