Monday, January 31, 2011

I Survived: The Sinking of the Titanic (book report)

Lauren Tarshis is a wonderful writer. I say this without ever having read her work.

My opinion is based on the book report I helped with over the weekend.

After proofing my 10-year-old’s summary of Tarshis’ I Survived: The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 and then helping with the construction of a not-to-scale replica of the ship – pre-iceberg – out of air-dry clay, I feel I know Ms. Tarshis and her main characters, George and Phoebe Calder, quite well.

My daughter Grace had a nice grasp of the story and shared many pertinent details in her written account and an extensive verbal retelling.

In fact, I now can probably repeat all 112 pages without missing a beat.

But while Grace finished her first draft a week ago and conceptualized her 3-D project days later, her timetable for implementation was a bit off.

The project was due this morning.

Grace pulled out the clay and began molding shortly after one o’clock – yesterday afternoon.

I envisioned an all-nighter…accompanied by my rising blood pressure, the reappearance of throbbing veins in my temples and a fair amount of cursing.

We fared well on all accounts – with only the third aspect of the process rearing its ugly head this morning, as Grace decided to sidetrack her final painting with a Lego creative session.

Don’t get me wrong…I love Legos. And I’m always happy to see my children using their imaginations in crafting projects from them.

Just not at 7 a.m….with a project scheduled for an 8 a.m. turn in…and the Mom-mobile leaving the house shortly after 7:30 a.m.

Grace made the deadline, but certainly not without causing my heart to palpitate wildly.

Now that the old ticker has returned to normal, I can appreciate that the book sparked Grace's interest in learning more about the tragic sinking of the luxury liner on April 14, 1912.

For her next report, however, I just hope Grace steers clear of another Lauren Tarshis’ book, I Survived: Hurricane Katrina, 2005, because there’s no way we’re tackling the hands-on project.

Even my creativity has limits.

1 comment:

  1. Holden, my 10 yr old decided to create a hurricane for a science project last year. Luckily I had a very powerful blower which did the job on the house, people and landscape we built. The hard part was making it repeatable - everything had to fly apart but remain enough intact for him to be able to reassembly it.

    ReplyDelete