Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Blessing of Grace

Ten years ago today, at 8:05 a.m., I became a father for the second time.

She weighed 9 pounds, 10 ounces and was a chubby, bald bundle of love. We named her Grace Dorothy - her middle name after her Memere, her first an older one we both liked.

We couldn't have appreciated our choice at the time, but my daughter's name has proven to be both fitting and prophetic in the decade we've had her in our lives.

Grace, by one definition, is "an attribute of God, a spontaneous, unmerited gift of divine favor for his children." Another calls it "a virtue coming from God."

Applied to my younger daughter, both are appropriate.

After several lost pregnancies following the birth of our first child, it was grace that allowed Missy to identify the cause of the problem and seek treatment for it, allowing her to carry Grace to term.

It was grace that brought my mother from the verge of death after her stroke and through a successful rehab, enabling her to rock and love the baby who shared her name.

And the "unmerited gift of divine favor" we received years ago has filled our lives with joy and laughter as we've watched this beautiful child grow.

As I reflect this morning on how easily 10 years can pass in an instant, I am deeply thankful for the blessing of Grace I have received.

No comments:

Post a Comment